Chinese tennis star Peng Shuai disappears after online post alleging senior official sexual assault
SCMP, 18 Nov 2021
Subscribe to our YouTube channel for free here:
Chinese top tennis player Peng Shuai has disappeared from the public eye after a social media post on her official Weibo account alleged that a senior Chinese official pressured her into having sex. The Weibo post was promptly removed after it was posted earlier this month. On November 18, 2021, Chinese state media CGTN tweeted a screenshot it claimed was an email from Peng to the World Tennis Association, in which the author said allegations of sexual assault were “untrue” and that the tennis player was neither missing nor unsafe. WTA chairman Steve Simon said the tweet only “raises his concerns” about Peng’s well-being. The release of the alleged communication was also met with widespread scepticism online. On Twitter, many voiced concerns using the hashtag v#WhereIsPengShuai.
Follow us on: