Saturday, Apr 17, 2021
Focus on the big picture

COVID-19: Toronto mayor Tory says latest provincewide shutdown was "needed" | FULL

CA, 02 Apr 2021
Toronto Mayor John Tory said Thursday the latest provincewide shutdown the Ontario government announced was "needed" and "will help to save lives," as illness caused by variants of the coronavirus spike. Ontario Premier Doug Ford said earlier in the day the province is in a third wave of the pandemic and the "emergency brake" was activated in response to rising COVID-19 cases and strained capacity at intensive care units.

The shutdown will last four weeks starting Sat. Apr. 3 at 12:01 a.m. Under the plan, indoor and patio dining will be banned and restaurants can only operate with takeout and delivery options. Restrictions will generally be similar to what is seen in the grey lockdown level of Ontario’s COVID-19 response framework. Personal-care service providers are also barred from operating.

With the shutdown, Tory said the city is taking several steps, which included advancing cleaning efforts in outdoor spaces, asking parking officials to relax ticketing, getting Cafe T.O. patios ready once the shutdown ends and that Active T.O. plans get fast-tracked allowing for more outdoor exercise areas.

Ontario reported a total of 2,557 new coronavirus cases on Thursday, with 743 of those cases in Toronto.

MORE: https://globalnews.ca/news/7732546/covid-ontario-emergency-brake/

Subscribe to Global News Channel HERE: http://bit.ly/20fcXDc
Like Global News on Facebook HERE: http://bit.ly/255GMJQ
Follow Global News on Twitter HERE: http://bit.ly/1Toz8mt
Follow Global News on Instagram HERE: https://bit.ly/2QZaZIB
#GlobalNews #COVID #Coronavirus
Related Articles