July 30, 2021: Masks, Biden $100 vaccination, Alaska earthquake, Hong Kong, Delta variant
Reuters, 30 Jul 2021
July 30, 2021: Masks, $100 to get vaccinated, Earthquake, Hong Kong security law, Delta variant
1. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that 69.3% of U.S. counties had transmission rates of COVID-19 high enough to warrant indoor masking in public spaces and should immediately resume the policy.
2. President Joe Biden is calling for state, local and U.S. territorial governments to provide $100 payments for every newly vaccinated American to boost COVID-19 inoculation rates, the U.S. Treasury Department said.
3. The most powerful U.S. earthquake in half a century left Alaska mostly unscathed, thanks to the remote location and depth of the epicenter, officials said.
4. The first person convicted under Hong Kong's national security law was jailed for nine years for terrorist activities and inciting secession, judges said.
5. Australian soldiers will help to enforce coronavirus isolation orders in the hard-hit city of Sydney, police said, as resentment seethed in some communities over new curbs to stem the highly contagious Delta variant.
Reuters brings you the latest business, finance and breaking news video from around the globe. Our reputation for accuracy and impartiality is unparalleled.
Get the latest news on: http://reuters.com/
Follow Reuters on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Reuters
Follow Reuters on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Reuters
Follow Reuters on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/reuters/?hl=en