June 7, 2021: Joe Manchin, Kamala Harris in Guatemala, Pope on Canada, G7 and Pakistan train crash
Reuters, 07 Jun 2021
Five stories to know for June 7: Joe Manchin, Kamala Harris in Guatemala, Pope on Canada, G7 and Pakistan train crash
1. West Virginia Democratic Senator Joe Manchin, a crucial swing vote in the U.S. Senate, said he intends to oppose a sweeping voting rights bill backed by the majority of his fellow Democrats that would expand access to voting across the United States.
2. The United States is expected to announce steps to tackle human trafficking and smuggling in Guatemala, a senior U.S. official said, as Vice President Kamala Harris visits the region.
3. Indigenous leaders and school survivors dismissed Pope Francis’ expressions of pain at the discovery of 215 children’s remains at a former Catholic residential school in Canada, saying the church needed to do much more.
4. The United States, Britain and other large, rich nations reached a landmark deal to squeeze more money out of multinational companies such as Amazon and Google.
5. A train in Pakistan smashed into derailed carriages of another train, killing at least 36 people, government officials said.
Reuters brings you the latest business, finance and breaking news video from around the globe. Our reputation for accuracy and impartiality is unparalleled.
Get the latest news on: http://reuters.com/
Follow Reuters on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Reuters
Follow Reuters on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Reuters
Follow Reuters on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/reuters/?hl=en